Tuesday, July 21, 2026

Success Leaves Clues. Start Paying Attention (July 21, 2026)

Today marked the beginning of another athletic year for me as the Assistant Athletic Director for Sports Communications at Spartanburg Methodist College.

Like many departments across the country, our coaches and staff gathered before our student-athletes return in the coming days. We talked about culture, expectations, and the year ahead.

One exercise stood out.

Each of us was asked to create a life timeline.

We identified the moments that shaped who we are—the victories, the disappointments, the people who influenced us, and the experiences that changed our direction.

Because of the size of the group and the limited time we had together, I wasn't able to share my entire timeline.

As I reflected afterward, I realized something.

My career makes much more sense looking backward than it ever did looking forward.

None of It Was Wasted

When I was a student at Columbus State Community College, I had no idea where the next 25-plus years would take me.

There wasn't a master plan.

There wasn't a roadmap that guaranteed success.

There were simply opportunities.

Some I pursued.

Some I missed.

Some I never saw coming.

Every internship...

Every late night at a sporting event...

Every mentor...

Every mistake...

Every difficult conversation...

Every championship...

Every setback...

Each became another point on my timeline.

Individually, they didn't seem life-changing.

Collectively, they became my career.

That's why I believe something I've heard for years:

Success leaves clues.

You just have to start paying attention.

The Clues Are Everywhere

One of the biggest mistakes young professionals make is believing success is hidden.

It isn't.

The clues are everywhere.

Watch how great athletic communicators prepare for game day.

Notice how they write.

Observe how they handle pressure when something unexpected happens.

Listen carefully to how they communicate with coaches, administrators, officials, photographers, broadcasters, and student-athletes.

Pay attention to what they do after everyone else has gone home.

Their habits are teaching you something.

Their consistency is teaching you something.

Even their mistakes are teaching you something.

If you're willing to observe, every day becomes another opportunity to learn.

Borrow Experience Before You Have It

One of the fastest ways to grow your career is to learn from people who are already doing the job you hope to have.

Ask questions.

Request informational interviews.

Volunteer at conferences.

Shadow someone for a day.

Read articles written by experienced professionals.

Study press releases, feature stories, social media strategies, game notes, and websites from departments you admire.

Don't copy them.

Understand why they make the decisions they make.

The best professionals aren't just producing content.

They're solving problems.

When you understand how experienced professionals think, you'll begin solving problems differently yourself.

My Perspective

Looking back at my own timeline, I can point to dozens of people who changed my career without realizing it.

Some were supervisors.

Some were coworkers.

Some were competitors.

Some were people I only met once.

Each left behind a clue.

Sometimes it was a conversation.

Sometimes it was constructive criticism.

Sometimes it was simply watching them work.

Those moments continue to shape how I lead, communicate, and mentor today.

That's why I believe mentorship doesn't always happen in scheduled meetings.

Sometimes it happens simply because you're paying attention.

Put It Into Practice

This week, create the first version of your own career timeline.

It doesn't need to be perfect.

Include the moments that have shaped you so far.

The people who influenced you.

The opportunities that stretched you.

The setbacks that taught you something.

Then ask yourself one question:

What clues have those experiences already given me?

You may discover that you're much further along than you think.

Reflection

Who is one professional you admire?

Not because of their title.

Not because of their awards.

Because of the way they consistently approach their work.

This week, pay attention to how they communicate, prepare, lead, and serve others.

Success rarely announces itself.

It leaves clues.

The people who grow the fastest are the ones who notice them.

Stay Connected.

No comments:

Post a Comment