Why Questions Often Create Better Opportunities Than Answers
Most students believe they need to have all the right answers before they can earn an internship, land a job, or build meaningful relationships.
They spend hours trying to sound smarter, more experienced, or more accomplished than they actually feel.
But here's something I have learned after more than 25 years in college athletics:
The people who leave the strongest impression usually aren't the ones doing all the talking. They're the ones asking the best questions.
Curiosity is one of the most underrated career skills you can develop.
At First Glance
Think about the last conversation you had with someone you admired.
Were you trying to impress them?
Or were you trying to learn from them?
There's a big difference.
One approach focuses on yourself.
The other focuses on the other person.
People remember how interested you were in them far longer than they remember how much you talked about yourself.
Why This Matters
Whether you're interviewing for an internship, attending a conference, networking on LinkedIn, or sitting across from a hiring manager, curiosity changes the conversation.
Instead of trying to prove you're qualified, you're trying to understand.
Instead of trying to sound perfect, you're trying to grow.
That mindset immediately makes you more authentic.
Hiring managers don't expect college students to know everything.
They do expect them to be coachable.
And coachable people ask questions.
Questions like:
- What does success look like during the first six months?
- What separates your best interns from everyone else?
- If you could teach every new employee one thing, what would it be?
- What's one challenge your department is working through right now?
Those questions communicate something powerful:
"I'm here to learn."
That attitude is difficult to teach.
My Perspective
Early in my career, I thought I needed to impress everyone I met.
I believed every conversation was a test.
Every answer needed to be perfect.
Over time, I realized something.
The professionals I admired most weren't evaluating how polished I sounded.
They were evaluating how engaged I was.
Some of the most meaningful conversations I've ever had happened because I asked one more question.
One more follow-up.
One more "Tell me more about that."
Those conversations led to friendships.
Mentorships.
Career advice.
And opportunities I never could have predicted.
Curiosity didn't just help me gather information.
It helped me build relationships.
Put It Into Practice
This week, challenge yourself to ask more questions than you answer.
Choose one person—a coach, administrator, professor, supervisor, or mentor—and schedule a conversation.
Prepare five thoughtful questions before you meet.
Then do something that's harder than asking the questions.
Listen.
Don't interrupt.
Don't think about your next response.
Just listen.
You'll be surprised how much people are willing to share when they know you're genuinely interested.
Reflection Question
When was the last time your curiosity taught you something that your confidence never could?
Stay Connected
The best careers aren't built by having all the answers.
They're built by asking better questions.
Your degree may open the door.
Your curiosity often determines how far you'll go once you're inside.
So the next time you're tempted to impress someone...
Pause.
Ask a thoughtful question.
Listen carefully.
That conversation may become the opportunity you've been searching for.
Stay Connected.
No comments:
Post a Comment