Friday, July 31, 2026

The Ugly Phase Is Part of the Process (July 31, 2026)

 There comes a point in almost every career when you wonder if you're making any progress.

You apply for jobs and hear nothing back.

You start a new role and suddenly feel like you know less than everyone else.

You launch a business, publish content, or begin networking, only to question whether any of it is working.

If that sounds familiar, you're not alone.

I recently read an insightful article from Korn Ferry titled "The Ugly Phase: Can You Survive It?" It describes the uncomfortable period between being a beginner and becoming proficient. It's that season when you've left the comfort of what you know, but you haven't yet reached confidence in what's next.

The article reminded me of something I've seen throughout my 27 years in college athletics communications.

Every successful professional I've met has gone through an ugly phase.

The graduate assistant learning to manage media relations for the first time.

The first-year athletic communications director trying to juggle multiple sports.

The coach taking over a struggling program.

The student preparing for their first job interview.

The entrepreneur launching a new idea before anyone knows their name.

No one skips this stage.

The difference isn't talent.

It's persistence.

Don't Mistake Discomfort for Failure

When things feel awkward, many people assume they're doing something wrong.

In reality, you're probably doing something new.

Growth almost always feels uncomfortable before it feels rewarding.

That's why the people who succeed continue asking questions, seeking mentors, building relationships, and improving one day at a time.

Confidence isn't something you wait to feel.

It's something you earn through repetition.

My Challenge to You

If you're in your own ugly phase today, don't quit because the path feels difficult.

Instead, ask yourself:

  • What am I learning?
  • Who can help me improve?
  • What can I do better tomorrow than I did today?

Small improvements create remarkable careers.

Continue Reading

The Korn Ferry article provides additional research and insights into why this stage is so important for long-term success.

👉 Read it here:
https://www.kornferry.com/insights/briefings-magazine/issue-74/the-ugly-phase-can-you-survive-it

You may be in the ugly phase today.

That doesn't mean you're failing.

It may simply mean you're becoming the professional you're meant to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment